Gniezno, the capital of Gniezno Poviat is connected with the beginnings of Polish statehood, baptism of Poland, place of St. Adalbert's eternal rest and coronation of Polish kings. It is here where everything began.
One of the most important historical monuments of the region is the Gniezno Cathedral - the place of St. Adalert's burial and coronations of Polish kings. Its interiors abound in countless pieces of art, including one of the most famous relics of Romanesque art - the 12th century Gniezno Doors as well as the 17th century silver sarcophagus with the relics of St. Adalbert.
Gniezno's basic trump card is the abundance of historic monuments of sacred character and historic monuments of sacred character and historic monuments being the seats of church dignitaries. They include: in the direct vicinity of the cathedral - the archbishop palace erected in 1830-36 and the bishop's palace of the 19th century, St. George Church, originally Romanesque, converted at the end of 18th century. From the north it is surrounded by historic canonries. The largest canonry - Potocki's collegiate of 1736-38 houses the collection of the Gniezno Archdiocese Museum which is one of the leading museums as to the abundance of church collections in Poland.
In the direct neighborhood of the Old Square there are two more sacred monuments. One is a gothic one-nave parish-church (1420-30) with a gothic tower crowned with baroque helmet. The church is surrounded with a wall that used to be a fragment of medieval fortifications. The other is the early gothic-baroque Franciscan church and monastery (of the end of 13th century) which was created as the result of connecting two temples: of the Franciscan monks and the nuns of the order of St. Clare, with15th century tower. In the main altar there is a painting depicting Madonna with the baby, called "the Lady of Gniezno". Local people treat it with particular reverence. The Franciscan church also houses the relics of the blessed Jolenta who died in 1279.
One-nave St. John Church of 14th century also deserves particular attention. It has a gothic cross vault and after the cathedral it is most precious historic monument of Gniezno. Te greatest attraction of the church is the interior - historic wall painting of the second half of the 14th century. The 15th century gothic, three-nave St. Michael church with a cross vault is another historical monument. St. Laurence church of 16th century and the post-evangelical church of 1838-42 are also worth recommending to the visitors of Gniezno.
It is necessary to pay attention to two buildings on the main communication axis of the Piast Route: the wooden baroque church in Łubowo from about 1660 which is the evidence of the existence of folk culture in the area and the basilica in Trzemeszno, the history of which reaches as far as back as 12th century. It is a three-nave building linking elements of Romanesque, gothic and baroque architecture.
Apart from sacred monuments connected with the beginnings of the Polish statehood and the creation and strengthening of Christianity in Poland, undoubted attraction underlying the historic and cultural character of the region are numerous museums and heritage parks as well as objects of archeological character.
Apart from the already mentioned Archdiocese Museum, the Museum of the Beginnings of the Polish State in Gniezno deserves special attention. Besides traditional collections it takes advantage of audio-visual techniques, presenting the history from the proto-Slavonic times till the region of Kasimir the Great. Best known in the region is the museum heritage park-archeological center in Lednogóra which consist of:
Wielkopolski Ethnographic Park in Dziekanowice created in 1975; it occupies the area of about twenty hectares and is one of the largest heritage parks in Europe in the park there are various types of village buildings, mostly wooden, from the area of historic Wielkopolska. Every year in the area of the park two folk events are organized: in march" the drowning of Marzanna" and in June "Live Heritage Park". The atmosphere accompanying the events is the reflection of folk culture, which is still alive in the area.
The Museum of the First Piast in Lednica and the so-called Little Heritage Park includes several historic buildings from the area of Wielkopolska as well as a few new, stylized ones. There is an archeological exhibition in the area of the park. The Museum of the First Piast is an institution supervising all parts of the Lednogóra complex.
Ostrów Lednicki - island on the Lednica Lake and on it - archeological heritage park, the remains of an early medieval stronghold, ruins of the prince's palace of the 10th century, former seat of the Piast princes.
From among the monuments of the Gniezno Land also the palace in Czerniejewo is well known. Its central part consists of the palace with two short wings. In front of the palace there is the courtyard and the forecourt yard at the sides of which are the coach house and the stable. The lot is kept in the architectural style of classicism.